I am pooped

Well I could not resist sharing this with our readers no matter how humiliating it is. In over 6500 miles we had all sorts of experiences but it took getting home to have the worst. There are no pictures, thank goodness, but I can assure you that is for your own protection and health.

On Monday we finally moved Cbay into our new covered slip, but before we did it seemed a perfect time to stop by the fuel dock and top up the diesel tanks and pump out so that we could start the winter season all cleaned out.

We took on about 120 gallons and hopefully that is the last big fillup for awhile. Then I prepared to pump out what had to be a pretty full waste tank as the last pumpout had been way back at Cuba Landing Marina when we were still with Native Son. More on them in a moment.

In order to pumpout you first remove the cap to the waste fitting on the side deck. Then standing beside the boat on the dock you press a rubber nozzle down on the hole and open a valve on the hose that allows the vacuum to suck out the tank like a giant straw. Usually it is simple and no mess to speak of, but this was not to be a normal day. As I took one hand off the nozzle to twist the valve something went drastically wrong. Combine a full waste tank, where the liquified waste was probably sitting just below deck level, with a powerful vacuum that had been building pressure for several minutes and you see what is about to happen.

Yes, as the nozzle slipped and broke the seal, the liquid that was already rushing at speed up the hose erupted into the fresh air and sprayed me down from head to toe with a coating of inglorious brown dripping from my hat to my shoes! Thank goodness for that hat brim is all I can say. Now if you can stop laughing long enough I will finish this story.

First, Jan and Brandon, who works for the LGYC, were trying to keep from laughing at me but I think they were mostly happy that neither was standing close enough to get hit. Cbay was not so lucky and the starboard side looked about as bad as I did plus the tank still had to be pumped. So being a trooper I finished the job whilst Brandon took a water hose with a nozzle and began spraying down the side of Cbay and as much of me as he could. I am not sure whether he was just being helpful or doing it in self defense as the odor was very ripe. As long as I was at it I went ahead and rinsed the tank out with freahwater several times so by the time I was done I expect the inside of the waste tank was cleaner than I was.

Before we left the fuel dock I stripped down to my scivvys in the cockpit and tiptoed to the shower where I was so thankful for a full tank of hot water. So now you see how an adventure can sometimes last too long. One should know when to quit and I did not. Now I will be forever known around the fuel dock as Old Stinky.

Finally an update on Rich and Merry Kay aboard Native Son. When last we heard they were at Grand Harbor having more prop work done and this time we believe a fellow named Lee Spivey, who is a legend in these parts, got it right. Rich is following my suggestion and challenging the credit card payment on the previous work which was over $3000 for no results. Now they are down around Demopolis, AL where more trouble has struck. As they were leaving the Demopolis Yacht Basin a transmission cable broke so now they are sitting waiting for parts and a mechanic to install them. I wish we were still with them as I have experience doing that job on a previous vessel. We pray their journey goes smoother from this point forward.