A stroll through history…

Last night the storms came roaring in and we were hit with rain and bumpy seas but Cbay was secure to the dock and we were rocked to sleep in the gentle arms of Neptune.

First thing this morning a knock on the boat disturbed our showers and I had to dress and go see who was calling. Finding no-one I stepped out onto the dock and saw nearby a group of young men in diving suits. Upon inquiry they said it was them who knocked and they wanted to know if we were leaving or starting our engines this morning because they were going to be inspecting the docks underwater. I looked out at the flock of sheep on the river(whitecaps) and said are you kidding me? They laughed and said they had to ask. Nobody in their right mind was going out today except the USCG which must train recruits in all sorts of conditions. We would talk to three recruits in town later and find out that they had all gotten sick on a ride across the river. They took quite a pounding.

Believe it or not Cbay was relatively comfortable because a big sailboat named Serenity was taking the pounding behind us and breaking up the waves before they hit Cbay. Here are some shots taken in rapid succession from the same stable spot showing how The dock and Serenity were pitching.

After breakfast we set out for a walking tour of the historic section. There was so much to see and do that I cannot describe it all, but will share photos. A stop at the Post Office to mail my sweet daughter Casey a birthday card with the gift that keeps on giving. Now when she reads this she will birddog the mailbox for a week.

We saw the Revolutionary War Victory Monument and the Nelson House where the British surrendered. There are still cannonballs stuck in the brick walls and here is the proof.

We could not leave the area without paying our respects at the grave of one of the signers of our Declaration of Independence, General Thomas Nelson, Jr.. He knew that by signing his name that if the British won the war he was as good as dead yet he stepped forward when strong men were needed.

We bought a couple of nice handcrafted gifts but I cannot tell you what they were because two of our loyal readers will be receiving them in the future.

Lunch at the Carrot Cake Cafe was excellent. All homemade stuff and we brought home enough for another meal.

As we walked back down the hill toward the dock we could see Cbay pitching in the rollers formed by the runoff from last night’s rain swelling the river. I was glad we were ashore and we continued on to other shops. I even found what I hope is the perfect gift for a friend.

Even on this blustery day a few diehards were out soaking up the sun on the beach. I started to suggest that she leave for the good of her health but several men standing nearby seemed like this would incite them to riot.

A huge yacht came in this afternoon and usurped us as the big dog in the marina. It is a 105 foot Feadship and makes us look like a midget. The original owner bought it at 85 feet but wanted an extra bedroom so he had them add 20 feet on the rear. Not only is this astronimically expensive, it also changes the entire handling characteristics of the boat because now your props are somewhere toward the middle of your boat rather than at the rear. But when you have this kind of money and a crew to drive your boat it doesn’t really matter how she handles now does it.?

Tonight we have guests coming. One of our readers, Brian, had graciously offered to pick up my prescription in Urbanna since we could not get there and I took my last blood pressure tablet this morning. Based on the way things have been going I would likely need it before tomorrow morning’s departure. Brian and Jennifer arrived pills in hand to tour Cbay and then we all went to dinner at their marina across the river. A wonderful meal at River’s Inn and we got to tour their Silverton 351 Sedan Bridge. Hopefully one day they will be making the Loop. Brian’s philosophy is to “pass it forward” and I am glad he was there for me. Thanks Brian.

Question of the night. What is happening in this photo taken at approximately 1915?

The wind has died and the current is slacking. Maybe we get out of here tomorrow. If not, Williamsburg by bus.